Friday, October 12, 2012

#9 Desert Island Albums


Honestly, number 9 I had a harder time picking then any other position on this list. I knew whatever I picked here would kick a lot of albums off the top ten. Albums I truly love from artist like The Cure, R.E.M., Micheal Jackson, and Queen all failed to get on this list because they were either going to be number 9 or nothing. After a lot of listening and soul searching, a lot of listening and second guessing, a lot of listening and asking for advice, and a LOT of listening I finally came to a decision. My number 9 Desert Island Album is the Eagles “Hell Freezes Over”.
Now I know what you are thinking, “of for crying out loud Caleb, That is such a cop out!”, and you are right it is. But I do not think I can get through this list without a cop out or two.
As for the album itself, what can I say that hasn't been said a thousand times about the Eagles. We all know about there beautiful harmonies and mellow sounds. We know they were a huge influence on the rock & roll in the 80's and country music of the 90's. So I guess I'll do my best not to bore you.


There is another slight problem with picking this album, and that's that there is more than one version of it. For those wanting to hear this I suggest getting the DVD edition. It is the one where the Eagles sing Don Henley's “The Heart of the Matter”, which is my favorite version of that song. Before singing the song Henley makes a statement about it that sums up writing, and I mean writing anything, better than anything else I've ever heard. “This song took me 40 years to write, and it takes about 5 minutes to sing.”

I have written a book that is about 90,000 words long. When people hear this they say things like”wow” or “that's amazing its so long”. And they wonder why I am not impressed with myself. I spent 7 years developing a world that would work, another 2 years writing the book, and so far the last 2 years rewriting it. So since my 20's were spent on this book, no 90,000 words don't seem that long when I think about it. So thank you Don for letting me know I am not the only one.

But let's forget about that we are here to talk about music, and music I have a relentless passion for.
This band, in my opinion, has a catalog of music that rivals any other band in history. And like all bands they have the song that started the career. 

Like all great bands they have a song that is my favorite from them. Not necessarily the best, or most thought of song when you think about them, but the one I most relate to. With the Eagles this song is “Tequila Sunrise”. Now to the best of my knowledge, I was never a hired hand. But I was a lonely boy out on the town a lot, and the way it work going up to women you need a push.
Take another shot of courage
Wonder why the right words never come
You just get numb”
That was most every night of my youth. Sometimes I really miss it.
I could easily keep going on here, but let's face it, there is only one song you the readers want to hear. The song that no matter who you are, no matter how you are feeling, and no matter if you understand what the HELL they are talking about, is the song you want to listen to. So I;m just going to put it on and let you enjoy it. 
I truly think that is all I need to say. Hope to see you back for album #8!

No comments:

Post a Comment