Saturday, May 18, 2013

Movie Review: The Great Gatsby

     I try my hardest to never prejudge a movie before I watch it. I believe that everyone has played the Expectation Game with movies, where we say, “I expected more from this film,” or “I didn't think I'd like this movie, but it turned out great.” So when I heard that a classic American tale was being filmed by someone who, in my opinion, is one of the worst 3 directors I've ever seen (Baz Luhrmann), well... I told myself  "Watch it before you judge, don't leap to any conclusions." 

     As always, Baz Luhrmann didn't let me down. He took a classic story about how changing your outer appearance does not change who you are, nor does having been born to a higher class family make you a good person, and made it into a pretty and sparkly spectacle that I can only guess was aimed at women & gay men.  He gave it no real substance, just a paint-thin veneer of distraction from the mundane. “He is like the gay/female version of Michael Bay.” said a friend of mine. “If the two ever collaborated it would be a movie with Navy Seals masquerading as Chippendale Dancers, randomly breaking into pop songs and blowing shit up.” I couldn't agree more. Except I think Luhrmann's editing is so ham-handed that it would make Michael Bay blush.

     He also cut some of the most important characters from the film. For instance, the character of Wolfshiem, based on real life criminal & gambler Arnold Rothstien, who presented an ever-present danger felt lying behind everything. Even though he didn't even cause the problems, his character made you feel constantly wary.  Except that he didn't exist in the film, removing with it that ominous presence.

     Still, none of this would have bothered me too much. This is, as I said earlier, something I expected from the director. What truly bothered me, what made me nauseous, what almost made me get up a few times to walk out on the film was the music. The story takes place in the “Roaring Twenties”, also known by some as the Golden Age of Jazz. It was the time of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Jelly Roll Morton, and not to mention Gershwin. Gershwin, for crying out loud! In all fairness there was like 20 seconds of Gershwin at one point in the film, but you can put the whole movie to Gershwin and it would work. Instead every time there should have been jazz playing there was a hip hop song instead. I have no problem with hip hop music, but when your trying to immerse yourself in the 1920's you don't appreciate Jay Z showing up to distract you from the film.

     However, not everything in this film was bad. The acting was fantastic. DiCaprio gave what I believe was his finest performance as Gatsby. I always thought DiCaprio overacted his parts to a certain extent. Not a lot, just that he had a little difficulty with subtlety. But almost ever movie he has gotten better, and in this one he excelled.

     Much like Gatsby himself I have hope. My hope is that the next classic book made into a film is a classic in its own right.

Rating: 3 stars out of 10

     If you enjoyed this review please follow me for more on movies, music, and books. Next week I'll be reviewing the new Star Trek film.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty ambivalent about seeing this movie too. I love DiCaprio and Mulligan but I've seen Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge and hated them both. I think we all try to go in blind to movies so as not to be disappointed but I'm not holding out much hope for this one. I'll wait until it's on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hated Romeo & Juliet and Moulin Rouge. The director also made a film called Strictly Ballroom, it is complete nonsense. There are some funny moments, but over all crap. I try not to get upset about other peoples opinions, but I am sick & tired of people telling how good his movies are.

      Delete