Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Review: Star Trek into Darkness


     When I was a child in the 80's, a new series of movies came out based on a TV show from the 60's. I was instantly captivated. At the time, my youth kept me from understanding the nuances, the drama, and emotions of the films. My childhood delight came from the action, sounds, and shiny blinking lights of space. In 1988 a new TV series based on the 60's show came out. It was amazing! I decided to watch the original series and then the movies all over again. This time I got all the things I missed when I was younger, and I fully embraced my new passion. I was now one of the many that the world loving calls Trekkies. Now, as you all know, there is a reboot of the movie series. The latest movie, "Star Trek: into Darkness," directed by JJ Abrams, is out in theaters, and I want to see how it stacks up.

     First, I want to talk about the visual content of the film. Like any Sci Fi or Fantasy movie, a huge part is the look of the film. It begins on a alien planet which, unlike a lot of other worlds I've seen, this planet truly looked alien. More than that it was a great cross between an alien world and a familiar  one that looks like you would expect humans to live on. Then came the space ships, again a beautiful cross between the old ships and ships with a more modern feel. All in all Abrams created a picturesque universe.

     Next, the acting. Those who watched the first reboot movie know the great work done by the new cast. Chris Pine (Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), Zoe Saldana (Uhura), and Simon Pegg (Scotty) are all incredible. So let's focus on the villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch. I know... the man has the name of a hobbit. Which is funnier when you find out he stars in the new Hobbit films as the voice of The Necromancer & Smaug the dragon. However, he is best known for the BBC show "Sherlock," where he plays a modern incarnation of the legendary detective. In this movie, just like everything else, he is astounding. He reminds me of an actor from some storybook, someone that can read a simple monologue and completely captivate his audience. I truly hope he becomes more popular in the States so he gets more roles here.

     Lastly, I want to talk about the part that is near and dear to my heart, the writing. Stories make our world go around, and this one blows me away. The emotions between the characters are wonderfully dramatic. I felt true passion between the friends. There were two crucial underlying themes. The first is that going outside the lines is more revenge than justice, and the second is how emotions can cloud reasonable thoughts. These themes were well laid out and explored, but I didn't feel like it was thrown in my face. The movie was excellent and I'm going to miss Abrams doing these films. I truly hope the next person to take over can fill his shoes. It is going to take a lot for a movie this year to top Star Trek.



Rating: 8.5 out of 10 stars

As usual let me know what you think, and follow if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment